Monday, July 7, 2008

Do You Eat These?

Here's a NY Times article: The 11 Best Foods You Aren't Eating. The article explains the benefits of these nutritious but not very popular foods:

  1. Beets
  2. Cabbage
  3. Swiss Chard
  4. Cinnamon
  5. Pomegranate Juice
  6. Dried Plums
  7. Pumpkin Seeds
  8. Sardines
  9. Turmeric
  10. Frozen Blueberries
  11. Canned Pumpkin

As for me, I won't be eating anything from a can any time soon, and sardines won't pass these lips either. I rarely drink pomegranate juice, but I do like to eat the fruit. I don't eat beets, because they taste like dirt to me, and not in a good way! I do juice them though. Orange-Beet-Lemon juice is delicious. I prefer my blueberries fresh, but I won't turn my nose up at frozen. Turmeric hasn't been in my food much, since I left cooking behind, but swiss chard, cinnamon, dried plums, pumpkin seeds and cabbage are all regulars around here. Good stuff!

3 comments:

Disa said...

What an interesting list. I don't quite get the frozen and canned part either. I love making pomegranate juice when they are in season, with some apple and ginger! Yum Yum!

HiHoRosie said...

We do buy frozen fruits b/c sometimes it's easier or not in season. We tried growing swiss chard but I think I might've pulled it thinking they were weeds! Not sure though. NO SARDINES. Bleh! Never tried them and never will. And no more canned pumpkin in our house. But pretty much everything else on the list we have regularly. Although haven't tried pomegranite juice yet but I'm sure it's tasty. And I'm with ya on the beets. We only juice them with other things. Turmeric we have and use but in small amounts, usually used when we make nut cheese but haven't made that in awhile. Anyway, very interesting list.

Anonymous said...

Lovin the blog them beets and carrots (grrrr post)are probably hybrid varieties (unless you grow em yourself from heirloom seeds!)
Hybrids turn to sugar too quickly blah blah blah gylcemic index waffle waffle overloading your blood ummm causing your body to pull heavy minerals from the bones to buffer the sugar yawn probably throwin you off mission check out David Wolfe's book Sunfood success system and stay beautiful raw peeps.