Sunday, April 11, 2010

Cinnamon Toast Crust (Nut-Free Breakfast)


Cinnamon Toast Crust Crumbles
Chopped Apples
Raisins
Pumpkin Seed Milk

(Dehydrated foods are great, but I always like the fresh Raw foods to outweigh the dehydrated.)
I love experimenting in the kitchen. Some efforts work out better than others, and the Cinnamon Toast Crust was a success! Well, at least to me it was, I'll have to see what the rest of the family thinks. If they like it, I'll put together the recipe. One great thing: it's a nut-free Raw cereal--perfect for my daughter, who's allergic to tree nuts. The Crust dehydrates as a sheet, so you can use it as crackers instead of crumbling it.




Pumpkin Seed Milk
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (*soaked for an hour and rinsed well)
1 cup filtered water
2 dates, pits removed
1/2 teaspoon alcohol-free vanilla
1 dash sea salt (optional)

Throw it all in the blender and blend on high until well blended. Strain through a nutmilk bag. I like to double or triple the batch and save the seed pulp to use in other recipes. I dehydrate it and store it in a jar in the fridge.

*I soak and dehydrate a full jar of pumpkin seeds when I bring them home. That way they're always ready to go for a recipe like this, or to sprinkle on a simple salad, soup, or chia seed pudding.
blog comments powered by Disqus