Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Winter Blues

I love getting my weekly basket from the local organic farm, but as the weather grows colder, the basket includes more and more items that cry out to be cooked. I still get lots of yummy greens to eat in a salad or smoothie, and I can handle making chips from the zucchini, but my one attempt at Raw yam chips yielded less than palatable results, and no Raw food enthusiast would advise eating uncooked white potatoes.

The cool weather doesn't do anything to shore up my determination to eat mostly Raw. (Mind you I'm filing this complaint from Southern California, where the coldest temperatures so far have been in the low 50's.) I hate being cold, which is one of the main reasons I continue to pay a premium to live here! I've successfully weaned myself off caffeine, but most days I still want decaf coffee, just for the warmth of the mug in my hand and the way drinking it warms my body, however temporarily.

It's important to me that I stay mostly Raw through the winter, because I have no intention of giving up the benefits I've enjoyed thus far. But dang! A few more 70 degree days would make it much easier.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol! I laughed at your post because I live in North Florida and have the same complaints! :) I woke up to temperatures in the 30s one day last week, and even though it warmed up to almost 80, I was cold all day!

If I were you, I would steam the white potatoes and make a raw sweet potato pie with the yams! :)

Happy Day!
Connie

Candice Davis said...

I will definitely steam the potatoes rather than let them go to waste, but I don't think my kids will tolerate me experimenting with yams. The teenager's already got her mind set on an old-fashioned cooked sweet potato pie! Raw is my thing, not hers!

Anonymous said...

Sometime, when they haven't spotted the yams, you should try a raw pie. They are every bit as good as cooked, you'll be surprised. If you don't have a high powered blender or a champion, you could even steam them a little to soften before putting in the food processor.


Enjoy your taters!
Connie :)