Today, I wrestled with the devil. Okay, it wasn't really that dramatic, but I did face down a craving for a toasty veggie panini.
I haven't thought of one of those sandwiches in a long while, but as soon as I'm told to limit myself, my mind goes directly to whatever's off limits. Doing green smoothies has been great, but it's also meant giving up the marinated veggies, dehydrator breads and crackers which have taken the place of some of the cooked foods I loved once upon a time.
But it's only been 2 days!
I know. It's pathetic. Check out this juicy gal who has been juice feasting for 80+ days, shooting for 92. You don't hear her whining about paninins. But I aint her, and I was sitting in my car, ready to head down to the cafe and get my sammich.
Here's how I fought down the craving:
1. Did a quick self-check to make sure it wasn't a demand for emotional eating.
2. Told myself that if I still wanted the sandwich in a couple of hours, I could have it.
3. Asked myself how I would feel if I blew a simple 3 day challenge on one sandwich. How will I know how I could benefit from the smoothies if I didn't give the 3 days a fair chance?
4. Promised myself that if I still want the darn thing on Thursday, I can have it without guilt.
5. Reminded myself that it's only 3 days!
Normally I'd go through these steps with LB and he'd remind me of my goals, while reassuring me that one stupid sandwich won't kill me if I really want it. We have a zero-deprivation rule. But LB wasn't around, so I had to walk through this one by myself. And I did!