Saturday, August 11, 2007

Raw Food Defined

A few people have asked me what exactly Raw Food means. For me it means uncooked fruits and vegetables, raw nuts and seeds, along with extra-virgin, cold-pressed oils, and a bit of raw honey and raw cacao. Today I even had sashimi (raw tuna). Many raw aficionados are vegan... or vegan and organic... or eat raw meat or raw sprouted grains.

At first glance it may seem that all I'll have to eat is salad, but I've been fortunate in finding 100s of recipes for raw dishes. I've yet to try Raw Chocolate Pudding, but if it's as good as Raw Peach Cobbler, I'll be happy. For lunch yesterday, my raw pesto was poured over raw zucchini shavings, rather than flour-based pasta--quite satisfying.

Right now, I'm striving for 90% of my meals made up of Raw Food. Today's menu:

Breakfast: watermelon
1/2 cup coffee

Lunch: grapes
an apple
sashimi

Snack: 1/2 slice Ezekiel bread w/ coconut butter & raw honey
1 date shake (dates blended with almond milk) Addicting!

Dinner:Raw ratatouille (zucchini, eggplant, raw tomato sauce)

It doesn't seem like a lot of food compared to what I'd usually eat, but I haven't been hungry and my energy has been good. And that's after spending a full day on a Deconstruction project with Habitat for Humanity!

0 comments: