Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Crazy Raw Foodie?

Today my baby sister told me, with all due kindness, I'm crazy for doing "this Raw Food thing." Maybe so, but it works for me.

More than 65% of adults in this country (almost 130 million people) are considered overweight or obese. African-American women, sadly, have arrived at the point where almost 50% of us are obese--not just overweight, obese.

For 2 long and heavy years of my life, I fit neatly into that category. I carried over 175 lbs. on my 5'4" frame. I wasn't happy about it. Who could be happy about their wide hips accidentally bumping into chairs and brushing against walls? It was humilating. I worked hard to shed the excess fat, and now I'm usually in what is considered to be a healthy weight range. Even so, I know I'm not as fit as I should be, and that's a big part of why I've returned to Raw Foods.

We all know the risks associated with overweight and obesity: increased risk of diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, arthritic knees, back problems, disrupted fertility, certain cancers and other conditions that drain the fun out of life and often cut that same life short. I'm not going out like that, not setting my kids up for it either.

Everyone should choose their own way of eating, not based on what we knew growing up, not based on the latest fad diet promoted on Oprah nor on what we read on various blogs as the Secret to Celebrity Slimdowns. Do your research and make your own decisions. Choose to eat well. And cooked or raw, eat your fruits and veggies.

0 comments: